Wine Advocate Review
The current release is the 2001 Reserva Especial, a deeply colored wine with a lovely perfume of cinnamon, lavender, incense, balsamic, and black cherry. Medium-bodied, velvety-textured, and already complex, it will continue to evolve for another 5-10 years and offer a drinking window extending from 2016 to 2036. For those seeking immediate gratification, it has the virtue of being approachable now.
Wine Tasting Notes
Medium-high cherry red robe, with orange tinted tones on the edge of the glass, clear and brilliant. Intense and complex to the nose. Wild berry aromas predominate, blended with hints of coconut, cinnamon, tobacco and leather. Full-bodied and well structured to the palate, with silky and enveloping tannins. Long after-taste acquired from its lengthy time in bottle, where its elegant bouquet gains in intensity. This Vina Ardanza continues to evolve without losing its traditional qualities.
80% of the "coupage" is Tempranillo and the remaining 20% Garnacha